So, you can’t have missed the fact that we are in a pretty grim recession at the mo and in the little old UK we’re in what is comically called a ‘double dip’ recession, I have to say that there is nothing funny about a recession and giving it a fancy name doesn’t help those who are struggling!
Anyway, as times are grim and most of us are on very tight budgets I thought I’d do some top tips on being cruelty free on a budget, because yes, you can be cruelty free even when money is tight! So here, in no particular order is my list of top tips for feeling wonderful even when life is throwing you a curve ball!!
1. Work out how much you can afford to spend This might seem obvious but it is important to know how much you have so you can decide what price range you can look at.
2. Decide what products you use and how often This may seem like a faff but it’s worth doing as you may find that the products you use less often last a lot longer and don’t need to be purchased as regularly. This means you may be able to get the nicer product as you can budget for when you run out! It will also give you an idea of when you’re more expensive months may be.
3. Shop around Check out the Internet and the high street shops. Look for offers, some brands/shops are predictable about when they do offers so you can bulk buy around them! I quite often buy a few months worth of something when it’s on buy one get one free as bottled lotions etc have really long shelf lives!!!!
4. Try before you buy! A lot of companies will let you buy samples of their products, this is a great way of making sure a product suits you as there is nothing more frustrating than realising when you get a moisturiser etc that you’re allergic or it gives you an outbreak out of spots!!!
5. The Internet is your friend Research, research and research some more! The Internet is the place for bargains, you can check what your local store has on offer before you go, you can shop around for your favourite products and you can look for new products. The Internet highway is the place to hunt out your bargains and you can do it from the comfort of your own home!
6. Cut the top off that tube!!! So you think that tube of hand cream is empty??? Well think again! If you carefully cut the top off you will find lots of product left in there, if it’s a squeezy tube I tend to cut it do I can still push it back over the bottom, otherwise mark a lid out of foil or something similar. Just keep an eye on the product to make sure it doesn’t “go off”! I’ve had tubes last an extra week doing this so it’s well worth a try!
7. Don’t use too much This is obvious I know but it’s worth checking you’re using the right amount as it’s a waste otherwise and we don’t like waste when budgeting 😊
8. Use BUAV etc sites These will give you details of which product ranges are cruelty free and will often include links to websites.
9. Go to your local farmers market if you have one near you use it, there are often local farmers / residents selling natural beauty products at reasonable prices and the person who made it is there to answer all your questions!
10. Have fun! Don’t get too hung up on price there are loads of companies out there doing cruelty free beauty products at great prices and they’re fun to discover!!!!
Budgeting is a pain but worth it and just think what there is out there to discover if you’re looking for new, fab treats!